FC DALLAS vs. SPORTING KC
2021 MLS Regular Season
Sept. 29 - 7PM
Toyota Stadium, Frisco, TX
TXA 21 | FCDallas.com/Stream | FCDallas.com/Radio | 1270AM
- FCD record: 6-12-9 (27 pts., 11th in West)
- SKC record: 13-6-7 (46 pts., 2nd in West)
- FCD vs. SKC all-time: 28-26-13 (107 GF, 97 GA)
- FCD vs. SKC home: 16-11-5 (61 GF, 36 GA)
- FC Dallas is in the process of transitioning from the methodical buildup play style of Luchi Gonzalez to the faster and more direct style of interim head coach Marco Ferruzzi. Although it’s just been over a week since Ferruzzi took charge, there have been signs in training and Dallas’ last match that the shift (particularly on the defensive end) is starting to take place.
Head Coach Marco Ferruzzi: "The sacrifice and the attitude to cover the areas and our weak sides – while still needs some improvement – I’ve seen an application there. It’ll get better with more work and timing but everyone’s tuned in to that. The group understands that we’re working on it, improving on it, but we only have so much time to do it.”
- Since 2019, FC Dallas has an impressive 5-1-1 record against Sporting Kansas City. However, that lone defeat came at Toyota Stadium in the last meeting between the teams on Aug. 14. Dallas will need to recapture its previous form to earn another win against Peter Vermes and company and keep its playoff hopes alive.
Defender Ryan Hollingshead: "It’s a team we know really well, playing them multiple times every season in the Western Conference, so there’s a little bit of a rivalry there. We know their players, we know their squad, they’ve had a lot of the same guys for the last couple of years. It’s one of the team that we feel really confident to come out here and get three points against."
- Goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer made his return last Saturday out after missing five games through injury. The veteran shot-stopper is known for his in-game communication skills which makes him a crucial part of FCD’s defensive organization. Maurer and Dallas’ backline will need to be at their best to slow down an SKC attack that’s scored 44 goals so far this season—most in the Western Conference.
Head Coach Marco Ferruzzi: "“It’s good to have Jimmy back, it makes our whole goalkeeper core a lot stronger. That’s definitely one of his back characteristics for us—his communication. Having all the guys in the back right now, communicating and focused on what we’re trying to prevent is hugely important.”
FC Dallas vs Sporting Kansas City
Sept 29 | 7:00PM