Herriman, Utah (May 20, 2022) - North Texas SC remained undefeated on the road with a 3-0 win over the Real Monarchs at Zions Bank Stadium Friday night
- 12’ – SHOT (NTX) – Tomás Lacerda connected with Blaine Ferri’s short corner but his shot flew high over the bar.
- 20’ – GOAL (NTX) – Barnard Kamungo and José Mulato played a one-two pass that allowed Kamungo to simply pass the ball into the net to give North Texas the 1-0 lead.
- 37’ – SHOT (NTX) – Hope Avayevu saw his rebound shot blocked by David Ochoa following a cross from Luis Miguel.
- 45’ – SAVE (NTX) – Goalkeeper Antonio Carrera preserved his clean sheet with a spectacular right-handed reflex save to deny Tyrone Mondi at his near post.
- 53’ – SHOT (NTX) – Mulato latched onto Blaine Ferri’s pass but his chip looped over the bar.
- 60’ – GOAL (NTX) – Kamungo won the ball in RSL’s final third and it fell to Hope Avayevu who comfortably curled his shot past Ochoa and into the bottom corner to double North Texas’ lead.
- 73’ – GOAL (NTX) – Substitute Pablo Torre added North Texas’ third goal with a right-footed shot after Collin Smith’s initial effort rebounded off the post.
North Texas SC — Antonio Carrera; Blake Pope, Alex Araneda, Nolan Norris, Isaiah Parker; Blaine Ferri, Hope Avayevu (Mikey Morales - 82’), Tomás Lacerda (André Costa - 72’); Bernard Kamungo, José Mulato (Collin Smith – 55’), Luis Miguel (Pablo Torre – 72’)
Substitutes not used — Felipe Carneiro, Chase Niece, Derek Waldeck.
Real Monarchs — David Ochoa; Chris Garcia, Bode Davis, Christian Nydegger, Pierre Reedy (Yekeson Subah – 45’); Bobby Pierre, Golden Mafwenta, Aziz Kayondo; Pedro Fonseca, Tyrone Mondi, Jaziel Orozco.
Substitutes not used — Gavin Beavers, Gershon Henry, Abokye Bikeyombe, Marcus Vasquez, Benjamin Rodriguez, Jack Imperato, Leo Torres.
NTX: Bernard Kamungo – 20’
NTX: Hope Avayevu – 60’
NTX: Pablo Torre –73’
SLC: Giovanni Aguilar (yellow card) – 26’*
SLC:* Golden Mafwenta (yellow card) – 63’*
SLC:* Aziz Abdu Kayondo (yellow card) – 68’
Weather: Partly cloudy, 50℉
Referee: Eljilio Arreguin*
Assistant Referees:* Bennett Savage, Karsten Gillwald
4th Official: Joshua Mills
North Texas SC Post Game Quotes
Head Coach Pa-Modou Kah
General thoughts on the match…
“I think the boys played fantastically. They understood the game plan and they showed up and showed out. To see some of the players today like Alex (Arenada) getting his first start and he was unbelievable. So was Blaine Ferri today. I think we controlled the game and we got a deserved goal. Going into the half, Antonio (Carrera) made a fantastic save which was very important. I think if you look at the overall picture, it was a truly fantastic game from the boys.”
On the lineup changes…
“Like I said, we don’t have a First XI, we have a squad and team. We’ve said from the beginning, it’s how you train and tactical reasons, that’s why we make a switch. If you see, Blake Pope started a couple games and then went out, then Collin (Smith) went in, then we rested Collin. It’s rotation, because we felt it was needed. It’s about versatility, hunger and desire that this group has. And one thing more, they’re young players that are learning what it means to be professionals. I want to hold them accountable and that’s what I want to see as a coach.”