Burnaby, BC (June 17, 2022) - North Texas SC (8-2-2, 27 points) falls 3-1 to Whitecaps FC 2 (6-2-5, 25 points) on the road for the first time this season on Friday night at Swangard Stadium.
- 2’ – SAVE (NTX) – Whitecaps FC 2 Simon Becher’s headed attempt was pushed over the goal for a corner kick by Felipe Carneiro.
- 4’ – SHOT (NTX) – Bernard Kamungo attempted to chip the keeper from the left side of the box, but his shot attempt went wide of goal.
- 34’ – SHOT (NTX) – Isaiah Parker’s cross fell into the path of Kamungo inside of the box but his volley attempt went high over the goal.
- 46’ – GOAL (WFC2) – Elage Bah’s cross from the right side was poked into the back of the net by Theo Collomb to give the hosts the 1-0 lead.
- 64’ – GOAL (NTX) – Kamungo played a through ball in behind Whitecaps FC 2’s defense for Luis Miguel who scored his first North Texas SC goal from a tight angle and level the match at 1-1.
- 71’ – GOAL (WFC2) – Emiliano Brienza’s squared pass fell into the path of Collomb who scored his second goal of the match and gave the hosts the 2-1 lead.
- 82’ – GOAL (WFC2) – Simon Becher put his penalty kick away to extend Whitecaps FC 2 lead to 3-1.
North Texas SC — Felipe Carneiro; Collin Smith (Chase Niece – 83’), Alejandro Araneda, Paul Amedume, Isaiah Parker (Pablo Torre – 83’); Blaine Ferri (Santiago Ferreira – 89’), André Costa, Hope Avayevu (Blake Pope – 61’); Bernard Kamungo, José Mulato, Luis Miguel.
Substitutes not used — Seth Wilson, Derek Waldeck, Tomás Lacerda.
Whitecaps FC 2 — Max Anchor; Simone Masi, Cristian Campagna, Finn Linder; Filip Rakic (Chris Lee – 46’), Emiliano Brienza, Vasco Fry, Michael Baldisimo (Owen Antoniuk – 90’+2’), Elage Bah (Gio Aguilar – 74’); Theo Collomb (Luis Felipe – 79’), Simon Becher.
Substitutes not used — Cohen Park, Joshua Herdman, Joshue Ndakala.
WFC2: Theo Collomb (Elage Bah) — 46’*
NTX:* Luis Miguel (Bernard Kamungo — 64’*
WFC2:* Theo Collomb (Emiliano Brienza, Vasco Fry) — 71’*
WFC2:* Simon Becher (penalty kick) — 82’
NTX: Blaine Ferri (yellow card) – 20’*
NTX:* Alejandro Araneda (yellow card) – 31'*
NTX:* Isaiah Parker (yellow card) – 72’*
NTX:* Felipe Carneiro (yellow card) – 81’*
WFC2:* Simon Becher (yellow card) – 87’
Weather: Showers, 59℉
Referee: David Schmidt-Schweda*
Assistant Referees:* Amer Ramic, Prem Gundarah*
4th Official:* Mo Mohseni
North Texas SC Post Game Quotes
Head Coach Pa-Modou Kah
On the team’s fighting spirit…
“I am proud of the boys and of their performance tonight. I felt like the goal that was called back in the first half was not accurate. I was very proud of the way we played. It shows who we are and what we are. It seems like oppositions have to rethink their game plan whenever we visit their home ground. We will take this result and we will keep working, like I said earlier I am proud of the boy's fighting spirit.”
On Luis Miguel’s goal…
“I am very proud of Luis Miguel with the things he has gone through to finally get a goal today. It was a fantastic moment for him as he scored his first goal for the club. We will continue to grow from this and we will fight back to get on the winning side again.”
Forward Bernard Kamungo
On the momentum changes throughout the match…
“Coming into this game we knew it was going to be a tough one. We knew what they are capable of and what their style of game is. We are at the top of the table so every team right now is going to work twice as hard to try and knock us off the top. In the first half we could’ve changed the outcome of the game if we had scored from one of our chances. We just need to be able to kill the games earlier.”
On how this loss serves as motivation…
“This loss is good for us to be honest. It will help remind us that teams are not going to go easy on us. We started good but we didn’t finish our chances. The goals we conceded were off of mistakes and set pieces, and we know it is something that can be corrected mid week. In the next game we will be more prepared and we will be ready to bounce back.”