Arlington, Texas (May 14, 2022) - North Texas SC comes out on top 1-0 over Whitecaps FC 2 thanks to a José Mulato goal in the 36th minute on Saturday night at Choctaw Stadium.
- 2’ – SHOT (NTX) – Blaine Ferri’s shot from the middle of the box was saved by Ben Alexander, following a cross from José Mulato.
- 13’ – DISALLOWED GOAL (NTX) – André Costa’s long pass at the back post was met by Hope Avayevu who passed the ball into the net after his initial attempt was blocked but the play was called back for offside.
- 28’ – SHOT (NTX) – Avayevu’s left-footed shot from the edge of the box went wide of goal.
- 36’ – GOAL (NTX) – José Mulato dispossessed the WFC2 defender to unleash a long range left-footed strike that flew past Alexander to give North Texas SC the 1-0 lead.
- 61’ – SAVE (WFC2) – Whitecaps’ Matteo Campagna headed Vasco Fry’s cross but Felipe was able to catch the ball on the line.
- 63’ – SHOT (NTX) – Mulato’s shot inside the box was saved down low by Alexander to keep the score 1-0.
- 90’+9’ – ATTEMPT (WFC2) – Fry’s corner kick connected with Joe in the box, but his shot attempt went high and wide of the goal.
North Texas SC — Felipe Carneiro; Collin Smith, Paul Amedume, Chase Niece, Nolan Norris; Santiago Ferreira (Derek Waldeck – 46’ (Tomás Lacerda – 58’)), Hope Avayevu (Alex Araneda – 88’), André Costa; Blaine Ferri (Blake Pope – 66’), José Mulato (Pablo Torre – 66’), Bernard Kamungo.
Substitutes not used — Elliot Finley, Luis Miguel.
Whitecaps FC 2 — Ben Alexander; Simone Masi, Christian Campagna, Matteo Campagna (Joseph Hanson – 77’); Emiliano Brienza (Elage Bah – 46’), Eric White (Joshua Herdman – 46’), Vasco Fry, Giovanni Aguilar (Luis Salvador – 64’), Ali Ahmed (Christopher Lee – 27’); Simon Becher, Filip Rakic.
Substitutes not used — Anchor, Owen Antoniuk, Joshua Ndakala.
NTX: José Mulato – 35’
WFC2: Giovanni Aguilar (yellow card) – 26’NTX: Santiago Ferreira (yellow card) – 26’NTX: Paul Amedume (yellow card) – 39’WFC2: Vasco Fry (yellow card) – 26’NTX: Derek Waldeck (yellow card) – 47’WFC2: Joshua Herdman (yellow card) – 71’NTX: Felipe Carneiro (yellow card) – 90’NTX: Chase Niece (yellow card) – 90’+8’
Weather: Sunny, 90℉
Referee: Abdou NdiayeAssistant Referees: Jay Norris, Jennifer Dumaine*
4th Official:* Gloria Resendiz
HIGHLIGHTS: North Texas SC vs. Whitecaps FC 2 | May 14, 2022
North Texas SC Post Game Quotes
Head Coach Pa-Modou Kah
“I think we started the game well, we created chances and I believe Hope’s goal that was disallowed was called wrong. It was a tough one to take. The Mulato finish shows one of the qualities he has. I think in the second half we lost a little bit of the control of the match and it is something that we should’ve worked on. Overall I am happy with the boys seeing the result out.”
On Mulato’s role…
“We know he is a strong player and he is strong in the one-on-one scenario. What we want to do is play the ball up to him so he can hold it and then we try to build underneath him. He is an intelligent player and he understands the game. Once he starts speaking English well with his teammates, I think it will change the game for the better. In three starts he has two goals now, that shows the quality and that is what we want out of him.”
Forward José Mulato
General thoughts on the match…
“There was a part where I felt like the match got out of our hands for a bit but we were able to come out on top. I feel like the players who came onto the field were able to help control the match a little bit, especially at the end. I am thankful to have gotten on the score sheet and it was a team effort. Happy to come away with the three points.”
On his goal tonight and his objectives for the season…
“I would like to score more goals in the season, this is only the beginning. I want to be able to accomplish double digit numbers in my scoring tally. There is still time and like I said it’s a team effort. We will continue to grow from here.”