A 99th-minute Arturo Rodriguez penalty gives North Texas a chance at back-to-back finals appearances
- North Texas SC hosts South Georgia Tormenta FC in the final match of the regular season on Oct. 24 at Globe Life Park
- North Texas will advance to its second USL League One Final if it wins its last match of the season and Union Omaha and Richmond Kickers both lose on the final day of the season.
Madison, WI (Oct. 21, 2020) - North Texas SC scores a late penalty kick thanks to Arturo Rodriguez to beat Forward Madison FC and keep its dream of back-to-back USL League One Finals alive.
- 19’ – Madison’s Wojciech Wojcik was able to turn and get a shot from the outside of the box but Carlos Avilez was able to make a comfortable save.
- 29’ – Don Smart attempted a shot from the right side of the box and Carlos Avilez was able to punch it away.
- 42’ – Arturo Rodriguez free kick attempt goes over the wall but didn’t have enough power at the end to beat Madison’s Chris Brady.
- 44’ – Derek Waldeck’s cross was met by Nicky Hernandez in the box and his shot went wide left of Madison’s goal.
- 64’ – Gibran Rayo attempted a left-footed shot in the box but it was deflected out by Madisons’s Josiah Trimmingham for a corner kick.
- 65’ – Alisson Dos Santos tried a bicycle kick but it did not have enough power to get past Chris Brady.
- 71’ – Arturo Rodriguez setup Eddie Munjoma near the outside of the box and his shot went wide right of the Madison goal.
- 76’ – Rayo’s shot attempt inside the box was saved by Chris Brady following a cross from Arturo Rodriguez.
- 90’ + 9’ – Arturo Rodriguez slots the penalty kick to the left of Chris Brady to give North Texas SC the lead.
North Texas SC — Carlos Avilez, Derek Waldeck (Beni Redzic – 79’), Nkosi Burgess, Kevin Bonilla, Justin Che; Alisson dos Santos, Edwin Cerrillo (Collin Smith – 88’), Nicky Hernandez; Arturo Rodriguez, Alex Bruce (Gibran Rayo – 63’), Eddie Munjoma.
Substitutes not used — Luis Zamudiom, Imanol Almaguer, David Rodriguez
Forward Madison — Chris Brady, Gustavo Fernandes (Christian Diaz – 22’)(Elijah Lockaby – 87’), Josiah Trimmingham, Connor Tobin, Jiro Barriga Toyama; Adolfo Ovalle, Michael Vang (Louis Bennett – 87’), J.C. Banks; Don Smart (Eric Leonard – 75’), Wojciech Wojcik, Paulo Junior (Noah Fuson – 75’).
Substitutes not used — Philipp Marceta, Allan Rodriguez.
NTX: Arturo Rodriguez (PK) — 90’ + 9’
NTX: Arturo Rodriguez (Caution) — 30’
MAD: Adolfo Ovalle (Caution) — 41’
NTX: Nkosi Burgess (Caution) — 74’
NTX: Alisson dos Santos (Caution) — 90’
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, 51℉
Referee: Youssef Elmessoussi
Assistant Referees: Art Arustamyan, Ryan Birdsall
4th Official: Alex Hofstetter