FC DALLAS vs. COLUMBUS CREW SC
MLS Regular Season
October 3 - 7:30PM
Toyota Stadium – Frisco, TX
TXA 21 | FCDallas.com/Radio | 1270AM
- FCD record: 5-3-5 (20 pts., 4th in West)
- CLB record: 9-2-3 (30 pts., 1st in East)
- FCD vs. CLB all-time: 17-20-11 (63 GF, 64 GA)
- FCD vs. CLB home: 12-6-4 (37 GF, 25 GA)
- FC Dallas had a strong run during September but had its three-game winning streak ended in Atlanta before drawing 0-0 with Orlando City SC last time out. Still, Dallas sits in fourth place in the West with the second-best goal differential in the division (+6). However, Luchi's team faces a stern opponent in the Columbus Crew who's comfortably been the best team in the league this season and are currently in first place in the East. As good as they’ve been, the Crew’s away form isn’t quite as daunting with a 2-2-3 record on their travels. Columbus also lost in its last outing, falling 3-1 away to Toronto FC last Sunday.
TO BE THE BEST YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST
- Dallas arguably has its toughest test of the season when the red-hot Columbus Crew come to town. The Crew have enjoyed a remarkable season so far, topping the Supporters’ Shield standings on 30 points with a whopping 2.14 points per game. While Columbus’ attack has been good (23 goals from 14 games), its real strength comes from a stingy defense that has only allowed eight goals so far, two fewer than any other team in MLS. Still, to be the best you have to beat the best so Dallas will welcome the challenge when the league’s top team visits Toyota Stadium Saturday night.
- FC Dallas captain Reto Ziegler returned after missing one game and put in a standout defensive performance helping Dallas earn a clean sheet against Orlando City--one of the best attacking teams in the league. His team-high seven clearances, three tackles and one block helped him earn a spot on the MLS Team of the Week bench for Week 14. Aside from his defensive contributions, the 34-year-old's composure on the ball is crucial to Dallas' ability to play out of the back and maintain possession; a crucial aspect of Luchi's preferred style of play. Ziegler's ability in both phases of play will be important as Dallas' takes one of MLS's elite teams this weekend.
- While Dallas' defense has only conceded one goal over the last two games, the team hasn't scored in either match either. However, prior to that two-game scoreless run, FCD had scored nine goals over three games and hadn't been shutout since its scoreless draw with Houston Dynamo in mid-August. Dallas will hope that its attack can recapture that goal-scoring form quickly in order to trouble Columbus' league-best defense this Saturday.