FC DALLAS vs. MINNESOTA UNITED FC
MLS Regular Season
August 29- 7:30PM
Toyota Stadium – Frisco, TX
TXA21 | FCDTV Network | FCDallas.com/Radio | KFZO-FM 99.1
- FCD record: 1-1-3 (6 pts., 11th in West)
- MIN record: 3-1-2 (11 pts., 3rd in West)
- FCD vs. MIN all-time: 4-2-0 (11 GF, 8 GA)
- FCD vs. MIN home: 3-0-0 (9 GF, 3 GA)
- Dallas enters Saturday's match on the back of two scoreless draws. Obviously, the team is looking to return to its scoring ways but can be optimistic considering its recent defensive record (one goal conceded in three games) is among the best in the league since the restart. Minnesota began 2020 with three wins and two ties but lost its first game of the year 2-1 to Sporting KC in its last outing. Still, the club's early good form has them sitting comfortably in third place in the Western Conference.
- For what feels like the dozenth time this season, FC Dallas was affected by an unforeseen off-the-field situation. The club's midweek match against Colorado Rapids was postponed last-minute after both teams' players decided to boycott the game to show solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement to fight racial injustice. The players and coaching staff now face the difficult task of shifting their focus back to soccer as they take on one of the top teams in their conference.
OPTIONS UP TOP
- Head coach Luchi Gonzalez has the choice of forwards Franco Jara, Ricardo Pepi and Zdenek Ondrasek (Kobra) to lead FCD's line. So far, we've seen Kobra and Jara start up top but 17-year-old Ricardo Pepi was slated to get his first MLS start against Colorado before the game was postponed. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll get the nod again this weekend against Minnesota, but it's a good sign that he's in the starting conversation going forward.
MAURER LEADS FROM THE BACK
- Goalkeeper Jimmy Maurer has emerged as both a leader and top performer since taking over the starting role. The 31-year-old made six saves in the club's last outing against Nashville and earned a spot on the MLS Team of the Week bench for his effort. In his three starts this year, Maurer has 16 saves and holds the second-best goals against average (GAA) ratio in MLS at 0.33. If Maurer can maintain his form against Minnesota, FC Dallas an excellent chance of claiming a third-consecutive shutout.