FC Dallas vs. New Mexico United
Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, Round of 16
June 19 - 7:00PM
Westcott Field - Dallas, TX
FRISCO- FC Dallas will face New Mexico United in the Round of 16 of the U.S. Open Cup with the intention of advancing to the quarterfinals.
- FCD record: 6-6-4 (22 pts., 5th in West)
- NM record: 6-7-2 (25 pts., 1st in USL Championship West)
- FC Dallas is coming off a 4-0 win over Oklahoma Energy FC in the fourth round of the U.S. Open Cup. Before their open cup appearance FC Dallas left San Jose with a 2-2 draw. New Mexico has been struggling to get points the last few games. Although they have won their Open Cup matches, two of those wins came from overtime PK’s. Along with the Open Cup, New Mexico haven’t seen a regular season win since their game on May 25th.
- New Mexico United is in its inaugural season within the USL Championship league. Throughout their first year they’ve seen plenty of success early in the season. In their fifteen regular season matches New Mexico has managed to record over 30 goals. Along with their game success New Mexico United has had 2 players of the month as well as leading the USL in attendance.
OPEN CUP JOURNEY
- New Mexico started their Open Cup journey in the second round. In order to reach the round of 16 they have won all three of their matches. They played Phoenix Rising FC in the second round winning 4-3 in PK’s. In the third round they took victory over the Colorado Springs Switchbacks 2-1. Most recently they overcame the Colorado Rapids 4-2 in PK’s during the fourth round. FC Dallas started their journey in the fourth round last week against Oklahoma Energy FC winning 4-0.
FORWARD MOMENTUM FOR FC DALLAS
- FC Dallas is regaining its depth through their roster while also finding a momentum in their style. Paxton Pomykal, Edwin Cerrillo, and Brandon Servania returned this past week from their trip to the U-20 World Cup adding depth back to our midfield. Along with depth returning FC Dallas seems to have found its rhythm with their play style under Luchi Gonzalez. Last week over Oklahoma Energy the team seemed to be in sync across the field.
PRESSURE IS UP
- Along with the intensive schedule both team’s are facing each round of the Open Cup adds another level of pressure. This game will determine who moves on the quarterfinals of open cup. FC Dallas has played in quarterfinals or beyond 9 times since 2005, winning Open Cup twice. This is New Mexico United’s first appearance in the Open Cup and are looking to prove themselves in their first year as a team.