FRISCO - With no MLS action this past weekend for FC Dallas (8-1-5, 29 points), there wasn’t a ton of movement in the MLS Power Rankings. Dallas dropped its Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 match against Sporting Kansas City 3-2 in dramatic fashion.
Dallas heads east to play the New York Red Bulls (8-4-2, 26 points) this Saturday. The Red Bulls beat the Sounders 2-1 on Wednesday, June 13 in league play before losing a U.S. Open Cup match to the Philadelphia Union on Saturday, June 16.
Saturday’s match features two good teams. You can it on TXA21 at 5PM CT or listen at FCDallas.com/Radio in English or 1270AM in Spanish.
Here’s where both FC Dallas and the New York Red Bulls landed in the latest MLS power rankings roundup.
1. Atlanta United FC (no change)
2. Sporting Kansas City (no change)
3. New York Red Bulls (+1) - The Red Bulls are one of the teams best positioned to really push Atlanta, again, assuming there are no major departures in the summer window. By the way, Bradley Wright-Phillips is on the cusp of scoring 100 goals in MLS regular season play.
4. Columbus Crew (-1)
5. FC Dallas (+1) - There remains some trepidation around FC Dallas after their collapse last year, but they lead the league in points per game right now, have lost only one in league play, and have the second-longest unbeaten streak at present. Ignore them at your peril.
1. Sporting Kansas City (no change)
2. Atlanta United (no change)
3. Portland (no change)
4. FC Dallas (no change) - CD takes a four-game win streak in league play to Red Bull Arena for one of the weekend’s marquee matches.
5. New York Red Bulls (no change) - Speaking of the Red Bulls, they downed the Sounders, 2-1, with goals by Danny Royer and Bradley Wright-Phillips to halt a modest three-game run sans a victory. They have scored a combined 14 goals this season.