Recap 7/11 SKC
USA Today Sports Images

MATCH RECAP: FC Dallas 0, Sporting KC 3 | 7.11.17

Defending champions knocked out of 2017 tournament in Kansas

  • Dallas makes MLS-best 16th USOC Quarterfinal appearance
  • Mauro Diaz leads Dallas attack with match-best six chances created
  • Sporting KC breaks Dallas’ 7-match USOC unbeaten streak
  • FCD returns to MLS action July 22 in Montreal

Kansas City, Kan. (Tuesday, July 11) – FC Dallas fell, in extra time, to Sporting KC on Tuesday night, 3-0, to end their Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title defense. The home side advanced after netting three extra-time goals following a pair of FC Dallas red cards in extra frame. 

Ryan Hollingshead kept a scoreless match in the 14th minute as Sporting KC’s Diego Rubio and Gerso Fernandes would combine inside the penalty area. Fernandes worked his way around goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez coming off his line and fired an off-balance shot towards an open net that Hollingshead cleared off the line, saving a goal. 

The match changed in the 15th minute as Seth Sinovic was shown a straight red card off an FCD counter. Michael Barrios received a ball on the rush just across the center line without a Sporting defender back when Sinovic committed the foul and was ejected for denial of a goal scoring opportunity, as Barrios would’ve been 1v1 with the keeper from distance. 

In the 40th minute, Mauro Diaz continued a strong opening half, finding Barrios on the right side of the penalty area for a chance that the winger missed just right of goal. 

The intensity continued to rise in first-half stoppage time when Victor Ulloa was shown a yellow card for a challenge and SKC’s Roger Espinoza was shown yellow for actions in a skirmish that ensued. Moments later, Gonzalez and Rubio collided going up for a ball inside the box with a foul called on the latter, offsetting a potential Sporting goal and leaving both teams frustrated before half. 

Tesho Akindele, fresh off the bench as a halftime sub for Dallas, nearly opened the scoring in the 50th minute. Barrios ran into a ball down the right flank and worked his way down the touch line before delivering a short cross into Akindele at the top of the six-yard box. The forward tried to redirect the ball onto frame, but defender Ike Opara was able to just get enough of a touch on the cross to deny a chance. 

The 10-manned Sporting KC had a pair of chances from Latif Blessing just past the hour mark of the match. First, in the 61st minute, the forward corralled a ball on the right side of the 18-yard box and curled a shot on goal that Gonzalez was able to push wide with a diving stop. Then, in the 69th minute, Fernandes again played a ball in that Blessing missed his chance on to the right.

Deadlocked 0-0 after 90 minutes, the match headed to extra time to decide a spot in the tournament Semifinal. 

In the 101st minute of the match, Maxi Urruti was shown a second yellow card and ejected after attempting a shot on goal with a bicycle kick. His attempt was broken up by defender Ike Opara, but the Dallas strikers’ boot made a hard impact with Opara’s head and after several tense minutes, he was transported to the hospital. Each side was reduced to 10 men. 

Sporting would strike first in stoppage time of the first extra frame as Blessing found himself on the end of a ball from Benny Feilhaber on a counter, and slid a shot past Gonzalez to make it 1-0. 

Javier Morales would be sent off two minutes later taking down Feilhaber as the last man back on another rush, and SKC would use their 10-9 man advantage to add another from Blessing on a turnover seconds before the opening extra time half ended. 

In the dying minutes, Daniel Salloi would add a third from inside the 18 to put the match away. 

Dallas will return to league action on July 22 after the CONCACAF Gold Cup break with their only trip to Montreal of the year to face the Impact.

Scoring Summary:

SKC - Latif Blessing (Benny Feilhaber) - 105+3’
SKC - Latif Blessing (Jimmy Medranda) - 105+8’
SKC - Daniel Salloi (Benny Feilhaber) - 118’


FC Dallas – Jesse Gonzalez; Ryan Hollingshead (Javier Morales - 88’), Atiba Harris, Walker Zimmerman, Hernan Grana; Victor Ulloa (Tesho Akindele - 46’), Carlos Gruezo; Roland Lamah (Cristian Colman - 106’), Mauro Diaz, Michael Barrios; Maxi Urruti. 

Substitutes Not Used: Chris Seitz, Walker Hume, Aaron Guillen, Jacori Hayes.

Sporting KC – Tim Melia; Seth Sinovic, Erik Palmer-Brown, Ike Opara (Kevin Ellis - 105+5’), Saad Abdul-Salaam; Jimmy Medranda, Ilie Sanchez, Roger Espinoza; Latif Blessing, Diego Rubio (Benny Feilhaber - 91’), Gerso Fernandes (Daniel Salloi - 85’).

Substitutes Not Used: Colton Strorm, Son Mustivar, Soony Saad, Andrew Dykstra. 

Misconduct Summary: 

SKC - Seth Sinovic (ejection) - 15’
FCD - Victor Ulloa (caution) - 45+1’
SKC - Roger Espinoza (caution) - 45+1’
FCD - Mauro Diaz (caution) - 63’
SKC - Jimmy Medranda (caution) - 65’
FCD - Maxi Urruti (caution) - 90’
FCD - Maxi Urruti (ejection) - 101’
FCD - Javier Morales (ejection) - 105+5’
FCD - Atiba Harris (caution) - 120’

Referee: Younes Marrakchi
Assistant Referees: Art Arustamyan, Ryan Cook
4th Official: Greg Dopka

Weather: Clear, 89
Attendance: 15,016