FRISCO - Just over two weeks removed from suffering a broken toe, forward Santiago Agudelo came off the bench to score two goals including a 94th-minute game-winner to give the FC Dallas U-18s a 3-2 win over Colorado Rush in the US Soccer Development Academy national quarterfinal match at Toyota Stadium.
FC Dallas opened up the game early in the 11th minute when Yannick Koffi sent a shot towards the box that was cleared off the goal line straight to Antonio Aguilar. He easily slid it past Colorado goalkeeper to give FCD a first half lead.
Dallas held possession of the ball for the majority of the first half not allowing Colorado to get much of a chance to put the ball in the goal and took a 1-0 lead into halftime.
“We were composed in the first half, got a deserved goal and we kept the shutout,” head coach Luchi Gonzalez said about the first half.
The second half saw a lot more action with FCD scoring their second goal of the game in the 58th minute when Santiago Agudelo received a long ball that he was able to flick in for the goal on his first touch of the game after substituting into the match.
Colorado staged a furious comeback, however, late in the match when they were granted two penalty kicks within ten minutes of each other.
In the 76th minute, FCD goalkeeper Charlie Furrer fouled a Colorado player inside the box. Eduardo Reza took the penalty kick and was able to get the away side within one of the lead.
The referee awarded a second penalty kick to the visitors in the 86th minute to the dismay of the Dallas crowd as two players jostled for a long ball in the box. Eduardo Reza took the PK for Colorado again and was able to notch the game at two all with his second goal in ten minutes.
It looked as if the game was going to go into extra time as the clock was winding down, but Agudelo scored the game-winning goal in what was to most likely be the last possession of the game. Agudelo received the ball at the top of the box, turned and found a way to toe-poke the ball into the back of the net in the 94th minute sparking wild celebrations on the Dallas sideline.
For a team that has overcome adversity all season, it was a fitting cap to their playoff run which will now extend into the final weekend of the Development Academy season for the fourth time in the last five years.
“What we did today was a result of us learning a lot of lessons throughout the season and never stopping believing,” said Gonzalez. “They were composed. They were determined, and they didn’t let anyone take this from them.”
"I want to congratulate Colorado Rush on a great season," Gonzalez added. "They are a great team and unit that made the game very difficult for us. I give those players and coaches a lot of credit with the way they played today.”
FC Dallas will travel to the StubHub Center in Carson, CA for their national semifinal on Thursday, July 17th with the semifinal winners playing in the national final on Saturday, July 19.
Check out the best photos from Friday night's win against the Union on July 4th!
FC Dallas rookie Tesho Akindele wowed Friday's sellout crowd at Toyota Stadium with a beautiful volleyed goals in the 26th minute of FCD's 2-1 win over Philadelphia and his goal has been nominated for AT&T MLS Goal of the Week!
Akindele has scored twice in his last three competitive matches and said after Friday's match: "As a striker, you've got to believe in yourself."
WATCH: GOTW Week 17
Here are your match highlights from FC Dallas' 2-1 Fourth of July win over the Philadelphia Union:
Hear what FC Dallas head coach Oscar Pareja had to say after tonight's 2-1 win over Philadelphia:
Hear from Oscar Pareja & Matt Hedges ahead of tonight's match against Philadelphia
FC Dallas is back at Toyota Stadium tonight and it's one of the biggest games of the season as we host our annual July 4th match, this time against Eastern Conference foe Philadelphia Union. Here are the ten things you need to know before heading to Toyota Stadium tonight:
1. Tonight's match is presented by TXU Energy and the first 5,000 fans inside Toyota Stadium will receive light up banger sticks courtesy of TXU Energy so arrive early!
2. Don't miss Walker Zimmerman signing autographs at 6:45 in the TXU tent on the north concourse.
3. The Lamar Hunt Statue ceremonial scarfer tonight will be Phil Taylor. The Frisco native founded The American Fallen Soldiers Project in 2007 and has painted 130 portraits that have been presented to the families of America's fallen military across the Uniteed States. This is the 6th year we've partnered with The American Fallen Soldiers Project.
4. Tonight's match is the first of four straight 8:00PM summer kickoff times at Toyota Stadium.
5. You're definitely not going to want to leave after the match tonight as the biggest post-game fireworks show in north Texas will fire off just minutes after the final whistle.
6. On the field, FCD faces a tough battle against a Philadelphia team that, like Dallas, is unbeaten in their last five competitive matches. Philly has scored nine goals in their last three MLS matches and here's your weekly Know Your Enemy piece.
7. While parking is always free for everyone at Toyota Stadium, our Toyota drivers out there can enjoy FREE upgraded parking in the Camry Gold Lot tonight. The Camry Gold Lot is directly NW of the stadium adjacent to the Dr. Pink field.
8. Tonight's weather forecast is looking very good for a July night with a high of 92 and a low of 72. The temperature should be in the upper 80's by kickoff.
9. Kickoff is set for 8:00PM with the match broadcast on Time Warner Cable Sports HD 148 as well as in english on 100.7FM and spanish on 1270AM.
10. Tickets are nearly sold out for tonight's match with only scattered singles remaining, but we are offering $19 standing room only tickets that allow access to the Budweiser Beer Garden as well as some of the best views in the stadium at the top of sections.
Check out the photos from our World Cup Tour stop at AT&T Plaza for the USA vs. Belgium game!
FC Dallas is back at home for the first MLS game at Toyota Stadium in almost a month! Here's your Toyota Keys to the Match: