FC Dallas survived Wednesday's knockout round match against Vancouver, earning a two-legged playoff against top-seeded Seattle Sounders FC beginning on Sunday night at 8:00PM at Toyota STadium. Here are the 10 things you need to know before heading to the stadium.
1. We are declaring it #RedSunday across DFW. This means everyone coming to Toyota Stadium on Sunday night must wear red in support of FC Dallas. Let's turn Toyota Stadium into a sea of red that sends the Sounders packing.
2. Our honorary Lamar Hunt Statue scarfer on Sunday night will be 1310 The Ticket's own Corby Davidson from The Hardline. Be sure to join us on the north concourse at 7:25 for that ceremony.
3. ARRIVE EARLY on Sunday as our first 10,000 fans will receive #RedForGlory scarves courtesy of Chase & Toyota. If you received one on Wednesday, we encourage you to bring it back Sunday so we can have one in the hands of every single person in the stadium.
4. Do the words "two-legged" game, "away goals" or "extra time" confuse you? Take a read of our playoff rules primer explaining everything about how FC Dallas can advance to the next round.
6. Sunday's match kicks off just after 8:00PM and is live nationally on ESPN2 with Adrian Healey, Taylor Twellman & Alexi Lalas. You can also catch the match on 100.7FM with Steve Davis & 1270AM with Carlos Alvarado & Rafa Calderon. Additionally, when driving home from the stadium, 100.7FM now has a post-game show so be sure to turn that on during the drive home.
8. It's going to be absolutely gorgeous on Sunday with a high of 70 and a low of 55. With the 8:00PM kickoff and the Cowboys playing at 12:00PM, we expect a huge crowd of tailgaters getting ready for Sunday's big playoff game.
9. Since you're all going to be at the stadium, set your DVR to record Stephen Keel's appearance on Whatcha Got MLS? It's a special segment on ESPNFC directly after our game in which Keel races a Lambo against other MLS players to potentially win the car. Check it out!
10. If you don't have tickets yet, there are still some available here.
It's Halloween night and we want to see your #DTID pride on October 31st!
Our #RedSunday playoff game vs Seattle Sounders FC is just a couple days away and you could win a field-side table for four for the huge match.
Simply send us a picture on Twitter or Instagram with #FCDHalloween whether it's a costume, pumpkin or anything else #DTID.
Every picture is an entry to win and we'll pick a winner randomly on Saturday afternoon!
The Untapped Dallas music and craft beer festival is coming to the area around Gilley's just south of downtown on Saturday, November 1st starting at 3:30PM and features an extraordinary beer list of more than 300+ high-quality, specially selected brews, along with an equally vibrant lineup of bands and musicians, a local artisan village with artists and vendors, and plenty of other entertainment and surprises.
It's a pretty unbelievable lineup of bands and an amazing day out in Dallas, and FC Dallas is sponsoring the Game Garden at Untapped Festival including games like giant Jenga, Connect Four and much more.
We will be out there all day so be sure to stop by our area and if you don't have tickets yet, click here to get yours.
2014 has been a record-setting year and the best home year in franchise history. But we're not done. The passion of the fans at Wednesday's knockout match vs Vancouver Whitecaps FC was simply incredible and we want to take the support to another level in Sunday's Western Conference Semifinal vs Seattle Sounders FC.
We're declaring it #RedSunday at Toyota Stadium and encouraging all fans to wear red to Sunday's match. No excuses, we need everyone in the stadium to be in their best FCD red to support the boys as we look to take down the #1 seed.
We beat them 3-1 just a month ago, and we're going to do it again. Toyota Stadium will be a sea of red on #RedSunday and we need everyone to do their part.
#RedSunday is coming. Let's do this.
On Wednesday night, FC Dallas clinched their spot in the MLS Western Conference Semifinals with a 2-1 win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC in the wild card round match and with that brings a new playoff format.
Those of you who are UEFA Champions League die-hards will know exactly what a "two-legged aggregate" playoff means, but for those of who you follow FC Dallas either casually or fanatically, we're here to explain the ins and outs of the system.
Two games, one winner
Over the next week and a half, FC Dallas and Seattle Sounders FC will play twice, at Toyota Stadium on Sunday, November 2nd at 8:00PM and at CenturyLink Field in Seattle on Monday, November 10th at 9:30PM. The two games will be normal 90-minute MLS matches, but it's the combined score of the two matches that will determine who moves on to the Western Conference Finals. Let's go through a few scenarios:
FC Dallas wins the "first leg" in Frisco 2-0 and loses the "second leg" in Seattle 1-0. FCD would advance to the conference finals because the combined, aggregate score is 2-1 FC Dallas.
FC Dallas and Seattle Sounders FC draw 0-0 in the "first leg" in Frisco and Seattle wins 2-0 in the "second leg." Seattle would advance to the conference finals with a 2-0 aggregate win.
That make sense? Well let's talk about ties.
Should FC Dallas and Seattle be tied in aggregate score after the games in Frisco and Seattle, one of two things will happen.
First off, let's talk about "away goals." Again, those of you who watch the UEFA Champions League are familiar with this rule and basically it means if the game is tied after 180 minutes, two games, whoever scored the most goals in the other team's house will advance to the conference finals. Again, let's go through a couple scenarios:
FC Dallas wins the "first leg" in Frisco 2-1 and loses the "second leg" in Seattle 1-0. Despite being tied 2-2 on aggregate, Seattle would advance to the conference finals because they have one "away goal" to FCD's zero.
FC Dallas and Seattle draw 1-1 in the "first leg" in Frisco and draw 2-2 in the "second leg" in Seattle. Despite being tied 3-3 on aggregate, FC Dallas would advance to the conference finals because they will have two "away goals" to Seattle's one.
Extra time and shootout
If the teams are tied after both games and also tied on away goals, the match will go to 30 minutes of extra time and if it is still tied, we will go to penalty kicks. You saw both of those scenarios in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup semifinal against Philadelphia Union earlier this year. Away goals is not in effect once you get to overtime. Basically, if both games finish with the same score, we're going to overtime.
Again, let's go through scenarios:
FC Dallas wins the "first leg" in Frisco 2-1 and Seattle wins the "second leg" in Seattle 2-1. The teams would go to 30 minutes of extra time after the second game in Seattle as the teams are tied on score and away goals. If neither team scores in overtime, it goes to penalty kicks.
FC Dallas wins the "first leg" in Frisco 3-1 and loses the "second leg" in Seattle 2-0. The Sounders would advance despite being tied 3-3 on aggregate as they lead 1-0 on away goals.
Does that all make sense? Score more goals than the other team over two games, you win. Score the same amount of goals and more goals in the other team's house, you win.
This is it. The playoffs have returned to Toyota Stadium and tonight FC Dallas will host Vancouver Whitecaps FC in a winner-take-all wild card round matchup. Here are the 10 things to know before heading to Toyota Stadium tonight to scream your brains out:
1. Tonight's match, and our entire playoff run, is Driven by Toyota. They've partnered with Chase to provide everyone who enters Toyota Stadium with a free #RedForGlory rally scarf. Be sure to wave yours proudly at tonight's game!
2. Our honorary scarfer tonight is Dallas Stars center Rich Peverley! He's got a pretty amazing story, and we're super excited to have him. Join us at around 7:30 on the north concourse for the ceremony.
3. If we win tonight's match, we will host Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday night at 8:00PM in the first leg of the Western Conference semifinals. Stay tuned for a special ticket offer after tonight's game should we triumph.
4. Bring the kiddos out to tonight's match in their best halloween costumes. Toyota is sponsoring Trunk or Treat on the north concourse. Each of our Toyotas will have some candy in the trunk for the kids. We may even let adults have a piece or two if they ask nicely.
5. FC Dallas has earned the right to host a playoff home game & you've earned the right to cheer the team to victory in such a huge game. Be louuuuuud tonight.
6. While parking is always free for everyone at Toyota Stadium, our Toyota drivers out there can enjoy FREE upgraded parking in the Camry Gold Lot tonight. The Camry Gold Lot is directly NW of the stadium adjacent to the Dr. Pink field.
7. FCD & Vancouver have played three extremely hard-fought games this year with great goals, great saves and some controversy as well. Take a look back at the previous meetings.
8. The weather for tonight's match should be absolutely perfect. Forecasted temperature at kickoff is 70 degrees dropping down to 65 by the end of the match. It's gonna feel like fall.
9. If you can't make it to Toyota Stadium, tonight's match is live on Time Warner Cable Sports Channel 323 with Mark Followill & Kevin Hartman as well as 100.7FM with Steve Davis & 1270AM with Carlos Alvarado & Rafa Calderon.
10. Don't have your tickets yet? Are you crazy?! Beat box office lines & get them here.
The best shots from Sunday's big win from Erik Davila, Olivia Brestal & USA Today Sports Images:
After nearly three weeks, FC Dallas is finally back home on Sunday as we host th eLA Galaxy in one of the biggest regular season games at Toyota Stadium in quite some time. Here are 10 things to know about Sunday's big match:
1. Sunday's match is set for a 6:00PM kickoff and is presented by WinStar World Casino & Resorts. You'll definitely want to head to Lamar's Tailgate on the north concourse to check out their huge tent with lots of great giveaways.
2. Speaking of Lamar's Tailgate, we're excited to have team captain Maylee Johnson and the Trinidad & Tobago Women's National Team as our honorary LH Statue scarfer right around 5:30pm.
3. You're going to want to head over to the east parking lot of the stadium before heading inside Toyota Stadium on Sunday as the Budweiser Brewmaster Tour will be outside. There's free beer. Do I need to say more?
4. There is a TON on the line as FC Dallas clinches a 2014 MLS Cup Playoff spot with a win while the LA Galaxy can move to the top of MLS with at least a draw. Check out the full MLS standings to see just how big this late-season showdown is.
5. While parking is always free for everyone at Toyota Stadium, our Toyota drivers out there can enjoy FREE upgraded parking in the Camry Gold Lot tonight. The Camry Gold Lot is directly NW of the stadium adjacent to the Dr. Pink fieldf
6. This will be Landon Donovan's final MLS regular season match at Toyota Stadium so be in your seat early tonight as we'll have a special presentation before kickoff.
7. The forecast for Sunday's match is pretty much perfect. A high of 80 is expected for this one with temperatures probably right around 75 at kickoff. No rain is expected until well after midnight.
9. If you're one of the poor souls who can't make it out to the game, Sunday's match will be live nationally on ESPN2 with a 6:10PM kickoff. Additionally, the game will be on 100.7FM(English) & 1270AM(Spanish)
10. Limited tickets are still available for the match and you can grab yours here.
All you Chipotle fanatics in Dallas rejoice! Join us at Chipotle at Preston & Warren in Frisco on Thursday, Oct. 9th from 3:00 - 4:30PM as two of our Homegrown stars, Victor Ulloa & Moises Hernandez, will be signing autographs, taking pictures and even rolling a burrito or two.
Come get your Chipotle fix on Thursday afternoon with Vic, Mo & FCD!